Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The post in which I wax historical...

The Olympics being in China! have got me to thinking....not about Michael Phelps, but about China itself.

A few weeks ago I was watching CBS This Morning and they did a story on a couple who has written a new biography about Mao. You know, that Mao. The one that forced the long march while he rode in a carriage, the one the Beatles sing against, the one that is embalmed, the one whose nations history is constantly being rewritten to make him out to be a good guy.

Then, there's all this stuff coming out from the Olympics. Closing Mount Everest for the season to prevent protest climbs, the girls with the Tibetan flag that were thrown out, the cute girl that lip-synced over the ugly girls voice, the whole murdering of Americans on opening day thing. And, I am sure there are things that we don't know about, people who have been kicked out, imprisoned, etc...that we'll never know about, right? So, this stuff has all got me to thinking...

At what point does a nation or a group of people fight back? We see throughout history examples of the oppressed and down trodden who have fought, and of course examples of those who were to oppressed to even stand a chance. I had a fun discussion with my parents (yes a discussion about politics and government and history with my parents is FUN!) a couple of weeks ago and then carried it on with Ross last week. The question I have is this: When will the Chinese overthrow Communism?

There were lots of factors that led to the overthrow of the Soviet Union. Colonial unrest, European tradition to fight back, bankrupt governments, etc. These factors obviously don't hold true for China so much, but what will it take? We saw upheaval in 1989 with Tianmen (sp?) Square and that didn't work out so well for the protesters.

There's got to be a weak link, right? A point where they just cannot pull it off anymore?

enough rambling, right? Just something to think about...what are your thoughts, if you're so inclined to think about such things?

2 comments:

Kay Bratt said...

My thoughts are that China is going to keep getting away with all that they do because the world keeps allowing it.

Kay

AppleBrown76 said...

I think we (as an American public) are fed just one side of the story. I think bad things happen in every country (look at our poor--no health insurance).

I don't think China is any different from the U.S. They have problems in their government...we have problems in ours.

There are definite things that should be changed in China, but who are we to say what and how those things should be changed.

All I'm saying is we shouldn't condemn a whole country just from what we hear from Bob Costas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails