Friday, October 03, 2008

a little political spewing

Watch the debate last night? I watched enough. So did the other women in my family. Here are some of our e-mail thoughts of the day.

First, Mamacita:
The debate – Sarah Palin is intriguing to me. Is she a politician? Not yet – but seems to be moving in that direction. Can she lead the country? No. What about the debate – I think she had some “stick it to you” moments – but not with the depth and substance of a vice presidential candidate.

I think I am most intrigued by her because she is a woman. Why? She is fresh, energetic, ambitious, seems to manage her family and work, dresses nice, speaks what’s on her mind (or at least tries to) – except when she references John McCain – she’s not letting on as to how she really feels about him. I think she sees through him – that he’s as corrupt as the rest of the career politicians in Washington . At times when she made reference to him in her debate comments – I detected a discomfort – like she is wondering why she is on his ticket – I just don’t think her generation matches up with his (the good old boy regime).

Is she a good model for professional women? She looks nice, she seems nice, but when she keeps talking about the “soccer mom” and uses the “betch cha by golly” language – I think she takes female professionalism down, paints a not so positive picture of their professionalism. Yes, we (women) are “soccer moms” (or football and basketball moms in my case) – but, I don’t think that reference needs to be made on the level of national politics – I am far above that in my work. I want the men in the professional world to respect women with polished professionalism – that means avoiding “dang it” and “gonna”.

What does the future hold, politically? Our country is headed in a big, fat, messy direction – our economy is in crisis, our education system is a disaster. Our government is as corrupt if not more corrupt as any other (democratic or not). Political decisions are all about money – who has it and who wants more.

I can’t support either party, campaign, agenda, or other pretentious political poo-poo.

Whew – that’s the most I’ve said in a long time.

Hope you are having a great day!

Next, me the blogger
Wow Mom - I didn't think you thought about it that much.

I agree with much of what you said. She is intriguing and has the ability to be quick witted and sharp tongued, which is sort of cool. You can tell though that she in under prepared and not ready for the spotlight she's been thrust into. Considering the moron she was up against though - I thought she did well last night.

She isn't quite the woman I want to look up to just yet (and she's no Hilary), but she does have a down to earth, I'm not affected by the machine sort of vibe. Unfortunately, that's not the right kind of vibe for this contest. I don't think she likes McCain, Cindy or john, either....who can. But, she's way better looking than Biden - whose been a senator longer than I've been alive. Can you say term limits?

Joe Biden is a turd of gigantic proportions. Arrogant, self-righteous and paid. I thought that he was rude and condescending - probably not bc Sarah is crazy, but bc she's a woman. That's what it comes down too I'm afraid and no matter how (un) qualified she is - the cards are so stacked against her in the good old US of A that she doesn't stand a chance. It's almost like she was picked for VP just to be picked on.

She's right that we need a representative for "joe 6-pack" in our government, but there's a lot to be said for that rep having a good sense of what's going on in the world though. Both candidates made poor vp choices - and I'm not sure I understand the strategy behind those choices just yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

And, I'm not voting for el presidente! They are both LOSERS and we're in trouble either way.

Anyone up for a move to Switzerland?

Then, from my civic minded politically active (she writes letters to her congressmen ya'll) sister:
Ralph Nader is still on the ballot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails