Thursday, October 23, 2008

21 Months

He's a month older already? Um, yeah. Amazing how time flies, isn't it. I haven't spent as much time thinking about all my boy's accomplishments this month like I normally do. Unfortunately, life and some other stuff has gotten in the way but I do know this - I love him more and more every day. The more he talks and gestures and shows me his huge personality and sense of humor, and his sensitivity to love and emotion the more I fall in love with him.

When it isn't too cold, we go for walks. We no longer take the stroller, but both of us walk. Where do we go? The church. We walk to the church and back. If I take Ross' keys we go in and play with toys but lately, we just come home. He is so excited to go to church that he runs down the side walk, stopping at least a house before we have to cross the road so he can hold my hand. It took a while, but he's finally learned that he has to hold my hand when he crosses the street. It's so cool to see his little wheels turning.

picnikfile_p4JJzE

Last night we picked my mom up from the airport. Elliott was asking for grandma all week and I kept telling him that she went on an airplane at the airport. When we got in the car last night i said, "ok, lets get grandma" and he said "airport". Such a smart boy.

In the last few weeks I've finally convinced him that it's okay to say his own name and he's finally starting to say it. But, it's usually on the third try. First, I say, "What's your name?" and he says "Baby." I say, "Nooooo, what's your name?" and then he says, "Joe." I say, "Nooooooo, what's your name?" and he says, "eeeiiit." It's a tricky name for a little guy but he does a good job.

This month we've painted and drawn pictures. He's learned the letters a, b, m, and o. He knows the color and it's name for yellow, purple, and blue. He knows that Elmo is red, even though he doesn't say red. He's starting to outgrow Blues Cues a bit - maybe from over watching. He can do the stairs, all 17 of them from upstairs to down by himself, walking. He will sit and read his own story, and picks out his own "lunch" from the fridge every day.

We also sing a lot of songs. He knows: itsy bitsy spider, twinkle twinkle, once there was a snowman, popcorn popping, I'm a little teapot, and my mom's cult favorite, where is thumbkin. When he hears a song he likes he gets excited and claps. In the last two weeks or so, when he hears a song he doesn't like, he yells "NO!" until I skip to the next song on the ipod. Oh, such opinions.



My boy is also experiencing time outs on a regular basis these days for outbursts and tantrums. Right now that means he has to sit on my lap and scream, gag, and try to escape for a minute. Dad was witness to a time-out last night and I think he was pretty amazed at the result. After that one minute of pain for mis-behavin', the boy was as mellow and calm and cuddly as ever.

Every morning while getting Elliott in the bath tub I ask, "Do you want to go pee-pee in the toilet?" and he responds with a resounding NO! or Nope. Even though he won't give it a try, he does like to pee in the tub and he'll pretend in front of his little toilet that sits on the floor in the bathroom. He lifts the lid, assumes "the position" (I'm sure his dad has taught him well already) and then he closes the lid, walks over to the real toilet and flushes. Oh I so look forward to the day he decides to be a big boy and use it for reals - no more diapers will be heaven!



My most favorite thing this boy does these days? No, it's not snort like a pig even though that's pretty funny, it's giving kisses. I'm amazed every day at how "in tune" he is to people and his surroundings. He knows just when to say hi to the checker at Target, or when to give a grown-up a high 5 and with me, his mama, he knows just when to give me a hug and a kiss. He cannot say "I love you" but I know he thinks it. Whenever we sit on the landing of the stairs to read stories and sing songs, he will stand up and give me a big hug. Then, he'll look at me, pucker his lips and land a huge kiss right on my lips or cheeks.

That my friends, is the coolest thing ever!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails