Sunday, December 07, 2008

another holiday post

Don't you love traditions? I do. Even though the holiday spirit doesn't really catch me on fire, there are some things we do as a family every year that I truly do love.

I love that we go to a dumb holiday movie every year because that's what my brother wants to do.

I love the family parties - even though we see each other all time, because the food is good and the company is too.

I love making sugar cookies with homemade icing on Christmas Eve day.

I love opening our one "special" gift on Christmas Eve.

I think though, that my favorite thing about the holidays is wrapping presents. Is that stupid? Probably, but it's my favorite. I've already wrapped about 20 gifts - some to ship off and some to help decorate the abode. I'm no where near finished and that's okay. It truly is a thing I love to do.

As a kid, I loved it when we'd go to a fancy department store to get gifts for my grandma's...my mom would always have the gift wrap department wrap the presents. Oh, how gorgeous. I would watch intently as the ladies behind the counter would rip the paper on one smooth motion, use as little tape as possible (3 pieces - a good wrap job must be done with only three pieces of tape) and tie beautiful bows and ribbons. Oh - it was a bit ethereal for me as a kid. In fact, there was a huge period of time in my life where I wanted to be a professional present wrapper. There is just something about those tight corners on a gift.

Even though I love to wrap the gifts I give to people, my most favorite holiday tradition is one that has come about in recent years - and that's helping my grandma wrap all her presents. My Grandma buys gifts for about 50 people - beautiful, wonderful, and often elaborate gifts and she needs help. We saw her yesterday and I'm happy to report that we'll start wrapping on Wednesday. It takes countless hours of planning, boxing, wrapping, ribbon coordinating, gift tag writing and present stacking. I love it! The order, the structure, the process...it's just what I need to unwind and relax.

Too much information? Makes you really realize how strange I am. It's okay. I don't mind.

One last thing. Yesterday, we got a Christmas Tree. It is a beautiful little skinny on top fat on bottom REAL LIVE tree and the smell of pine that is wafting through my house is well worth the $67 we paid for the tree plus the $5 tip to get it on top of the car. Just in case you don't believe me -her are some pictures. It's been 4 Christmases, but we've finally got a tree. Yeah! (oh, thanks uncle Paul for the ornaments - I finally have a tree worthy of them.)

Christmas Tree 2008

Christmas Tree 2008

Christmas Tree 2008

Christmas Tree 2008

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Ooo... I also love wrapping presents. Especially with nice thick paper. If memory serves correctly, Haley does NOT share your opinion about very little tape.

Harried Mom said...

Annie, I am glad to see that I am not alone. I too love wrapping presents. Maybe it is the fascination with color, kind of reminds me of my joy of quilting. I actually had a friend who hired me to wrap gifts one year, that was memorable as I'd never seen anyone who bought so much junk in my life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails