Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A cause I think I found....


In my ever increasing search for a cause, I think that I found one. In of all places, Parents magazine, I read this morning a little blurb about donating backpacks to kids in refugee camps in Darfur, Chad to help them go to school while they are in refugee camps. Ross and I watched a movie last week, Catch a Fire, set in South Africa during apartheid. The movie made me sad, guilty, and gave me a desire to help. The same gut wrenching I felt when I watched Hotel Rwanda, or the movie about Aborigines in Australia called, Rabbit Proof Fence.


How can you help Africa? There doesn't seem to be any small way to save children orphaned by war or AIDS, or those that are starving and on the brink of disaster. I don't think buying everything "project RED" from the Gap and Apple will do it. Well, today gave me a glimpse of hope. The plight of children in a war ravaged nation is enough to make anyone cry and give up everything they own, but that isn't realistic. However, donating a backpack full of supplies is. It is so tangible and feasible. Backpacks! How wonderful is a backpack full of school supplies, a pair of shoes and some clothes to a child that has nothing.


I should be getting some extra money in my paycheck for my pain in the butt project I've been working on. I am going to buy some backpacks with that money.


If you are interested in buying some backpacks to, check out the Jewish World Watch website at: http://www.jewishworldwatch.org/. Click on the Project Backpacks link on the homepage.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the idea... I love causes!

Harried Mom said...

That is a great website. Thanks for sharing and I'll have to keep this one in mind for when I have a few extra bucks.

Anonymous said...

We have three pretty nice backpacks at our house that are not in use and ready to be filled with school supplies.
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails