Friday, November 02, 2007

self-sufficient

Asking for help is not something that I do. Everything that needs to get done, I generally do myself. I must rely on Ross and my mom occasionally to watch the monkey but otherwise, he goes with me everywhere, and I manage to get most things done every single day.

Regarding work, I also tend to take care of things by myself. Particularly, now that I work from home I have to set my own deadlines and track my progress or I'd never get anything done and would consistently run out of time. I often get a little stuck and end up pulling some late nights (late for me anyway) to get the work done. No asking for help, no sharing the work load. I just do it.

Nearly every day, as part of my job, I help teachers with their "technology issues," ranging from forgotten passwords, forgotten instructions, confusion about websites, lost brains...you know the drill. I spend countless hours on phone calls and e-mails answering mostly simple, mundane questions. It's okay and I don't mind. I enjoy offering help, even though I don't particularly care to ask for it.

Here's the problem. The 2 of you that read my blog, remember last week when I dropped my phone in the toilet and had to get a new one? And I got a blackberry? And I wrote a blog post about it? Well, I've spent the last week playing with my new device, getting used to it's functionality and menus and finally decided that I ought to get my work e-mail set-up. I set-up my yahoo! account lickety split, but the work e-mail has proved to be extremely cumbersome. Here's where the problems arise. 1) the University doesn't support blackberry's and my IT folks don't know how to set e-mail up on a blackberry. 2) I don't have the correct information (mailbox names, etc.) to set-up my blackberry. 3) Blackberry currently does not have any support for Vista users (which I am). 4) I don't know what a blackberry is. Is it a handled, a smartphone, a PDA or a combination of these? No idea. So, I'm screwed! I can't get anything to work right, can't figure out how to do it and am on the verge of doing something very dangerous in my book...asking for help.

Or, if I can't get it to work, I'll take the phone back and get a treo. The University supports treo's.

5 comments:

.::still blinking::. said...

jj and jimmy are computer nerds/gods. We should invite them over and set it right inbetween them and see who grabs it first.

Harried Mom said...

Annie, I'd have been up to date with all that lingo, etc. some 7 years ago, but I am lost outside tech land these days or I'd offer you some help. I'm trying to decide what phone to get myself next week as I can't even locate mine for the trip! Good luck, Tiff

japetersen said...

I am no help at all.

Michele said...

FYI If you choose to call anyone from customer support be prepared to wait...a very long time. I believe they think if you wait long enough you may just forget and hang up.

Lisa said...

So good to know...our contract is also up in January and have been trying to figure out what new phone to get - I really like the Blackberry but I am dependent on help from work so...looks like a Trio for me.
Thanks for the important info.
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails