Thursday, November 08, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad-e-o

happy birthday dad

My dad has had a mustache as long as I've been alive, if not longer. Once, when I was very young he shaved it off. My sister and I were gone, playing at a friends house and as we walked home we saw my mom on her usual perch, the front porch, with some guy. I remember being a little apprehensive approaching the house (didn't do well with strangers) and just talked to and looked at my mom. Whomever the guy sitting next to her was, I didn't know. After who knows how long, it was finally brought to the attention of Haley and myself that this "stranger" was our dad...sans mustache! It was strange. Very strange.

Though the first concert I ever went to in my life was NKOTB (New kids on the block) and I cried as I watched Jordan dance around the stage (12 years old, cut me some slack), it was not the concert that epitomized concert going for me. For my 13th birthday (8th grade), my dad took me to see Sting at what was then known as Park West. It was an outdoors concert extravaganza. The first time I saw people making out en mass, dancing ridiculously, and smoking pot (yes, a little sheltered was I) all to the sounds of the Stigner. I was in heaven. Since that time, my dad and I have seen Sting together many times.



Karl Simpson

My dad is new to the e-mail age. I think it scares him a bit, but he's getting better. He knows how to send attachments! His e-mails are usually very humorous and sarcastic and IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. YES, WE'VE TOLD HIM THAT MEANS HE'S YELLING AT US THROUGH THE INTERNET BUT HE DOESN'T CARE. HE DOES IT ANYWAY. PROBABLY JUST TO ANNOY US. He did learn how to simpsonize himself a few months ago when the movie came out. I was impressed.

My dad is a good dad and a good grandpa. Elliott loves him. Sometimes, Elliott pics him over my mom. That's funny.

hangin' w/ grandpa

We all have different names for my dad. I call him dad-e-o. Willie calls him Father Time (my mom is "mother nature"). I think Haley calls him something too, but I can't remember (Haley, what do you call him?). Regardless, it's his birthday and I hope he has a good one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails