Monday, November 05, 2007

shutterbugosity

Photography is something that I love and the habit has become more addictive in recent years. Rarely, it seems, do I take pictures of anything but Elliott and little league football these days, but when I do have the change to shoot other stuff, I take it.

A dream of mine is to make money taking pictures. I'm not a professional, but I've got a good eye. I know all about aperture and shutter speed even though I choose to leave my camera on program mode. I struggle a bit with lighting and the flash, but who doesn't. Though I'm self taught, I definitely think that I could do really well taking pictures on a very part-time basis. Just today as I was walking a teacher through an online problem she said to me, "I took the digital camera class from UEN over the summer and the instructor showed a bunch of your photographs. They were really beautiful." That's nice AND unsolicited. Maybe there is a market for a girl like me taking pictures.

I think that my most favorite picture ever is this one
Guarding the Crown Jewels
I love the composition, the color, and the fierce tightness of the British guards fingers. He could twist your head off with that thumb and forefinger. I took this in England in 2005. I should find a place in my house to hang it on the wall.

And yes, I take a lot of pictures of Elliott around the house like this one:
Happy baby
but there is just something about his excitement that is so addictive.

Now, let me stop rambling and get to the point. I'd love to take pictures for a living but I'm too untrained, un-marketed, and unprepared. And, I'm a big fat chicken unwilling to go out on a limb. Though I've been collecting my pictures in a "portfolio" folder of sorts on my computer for years, it's basically just for me to look at. The mail we got over the weekend though is making me have second thoughts about my fear to be a photographer.

We got a flyer for THIS local photographer and studio over the weekend. It's the second one we've got in as many months. The guy can advertise. I don't want to be mean (and hope he doesn't know how to check to see who links to his webstie), but look at his gallery (especially the one where the girls are sitting in the grass and there are a ton of people milling around in the background). Please tell me that all my pictures on flickr and in photo books are better than this guys. As I looked at his site last night I began to wonder if he's making any money. And, if he is, how much? And, can't I do better taking a picture in someones front yard than he's doing in a studio with rent? How can he have a business and I can't? Um, because I'm a chicken and he's not! Ba-ak!

What to do, what to do, what to do? I'll do what I always do, nothing. Just pine over a silly dream and move on.

If you want me to take pictures of you or your kids "on location", I'll do it.

6 comments:

Harried Mom said...

Annie, I am looking forward to your taking pictures of my two rugrats next week! Also, Brian and I were wondering if you might be able to give us a name of the camera store you like that is homegrown as we'd like to give them our business for a new really nice digital camera Christmas present to each other! -Tiff

Unknown said...

love the guard pic........most people never notice things like that.....

Anonymous said...

Duh . . . why don't you just get moving and do something? That guy can't even spell that he went to "collage." Duh! Free the photo. Get it going! Don't me chicken, carlos. - Haley

Jodi said...

Oh, you are way better, but you do have a great subject matter. I swear he gets cuter everytime you take his picture!

Codi said...

Tell me your price and we'll book a session! I can't tell you how many compliments I got on just the few pictures you took of Lucy. Annie, you really need to think of this. Start small - your neighborhood, ward, friends, family and word of mouth will make this your cool part-time job in no time!

Anonymous said...

Pictureline is probably the best local camera store.
Annie I don't know how Micheal graduated from SLCC with honors. My professors would find huge flaws in all of the photos in his galley.
I wish that I had the eye that you have for photographing. My classes would be so much easier and my grades higher. You are a true role model of what I would like to show in my photography.
I say put your all in it. You could work at home and not have to worry about the UEN crap.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails