Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Post 402

I've been blogging since the fall of 2005. Today is post 402. I don't know that it means anything, but that's a lot of time spent on the Internet, for sure.

Yesterday, vouchers were defeated in good old Utah. Yeah! Sigh of relief. Being a former public school teacher, I was terrified that it would pas and am happy that Utah sported a 33% voter turnout in an off year election to squash any hopes of the elitist fools who wanted my tax dollars to pay for their kids to go to charter schools with unqualified teachers! Enough of that.

Moving on...Ross and I have been married for a little over 4 years. In the first 3.5 years of our marriage, Ross fixed dinner every single night. No matter where we lived, or what time he came home, he fixed dinner. The summer we lived in P00-vo (also known, for various reasons, as the worst 3 months of my entire life) I think that maybe I prepared dinner a handful of times, but most of the time I waited (starving) for Ross to come home and cook, or order a Pizza and salad from the Brick Oven. We ate pizza every week I think.

Baking has always been my forte and I love to do it. Give me a challenging recipe for a chocolate cake and I'm golden. I love to eat batter, and dough, and make messes that Ross usually cleans up for me later. Baking is good. Cooking on the other hand - not so good. I can do it, and am not too shabby, but it's not really my thing.

Anyway, dinner is now on my plate (pun. aren't puns great?) and it's starting to grow on me. We don't have too varied a menu these days but I look forward to the 30 minutes of alone time each day way more than I should. You see, I start cooking as soon as Ross gets home from work. By 4 pm everyday, Elliott and I are done with each other and are usually in separate corners. Ross sweeps in around 5 takes the monkey upstairs, feeds him some kind of happy pill, and they re-emerge when it's time to eat.

My private, personal alone time in the kitchen is so valuable to me. So valuable in fact that I don't even mind cooking dinner anymore. Initially, back in January, February, March...it was a chore. Something I had to do if I wanted to eat. But now, almost 10 months later, I think I'm getting pretty good at it and we have a "real" dinner every night. In fact, largely because Elliott turns into a pumpkin around 6:30, we don't even eat out that much anymore, preferring to eat at home.

Why all the talk about food? Because last nights dinner was tasty. Here's the menu:
Salad with ranch dressing and craisins
Green beans with crispy bacon crumbles and brown sugar caramelized shallots
Rosemary, balsamic vinegar and garlic marinated flank steak


Ross at a piece of bread and drank milk, while sitting (and eating) on the living room floor. I ate my meal at the bar in the kitchen. I drank water with a shot of chocolate milk afterwards.
Delish!


What's on the menu tonight you're asking yourself? Thin crust frozen CPK pizza and garlic bread. Ross has church meetings and I didn't plan very well. Tomorrow night? Pork roast with red potatoes. Yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails