Sunday, November 25, 2007

Is this really necessary?

We left church early today, as we do most Sunday's and rather than heading out directly to mom and dad's for dinner, we decided to go for a drive. We wanted to see the progress on the new Draper Temple and headed on up the hill. The temple is much smaller than it looks from far away, and in it's unfinished state pales in comparison to the homes that will be surrounding it upon it's completion.

Do you live in a castle?
This home, rather castle (I think it may have a moat, too) in particular sparked a very interesting conversation between the two of us on our way back down the hill. I suppose the them of this conversation (or mutual rant) was, do you really need it? Our answer was no. This castle on a hill got us to thinking about what is necessary and important in life. A home of this size and stature isn't even a booger that got flicked onto our list.

We live in a society that is governed by so much stuff and greed, and all the things that make up Utah, America, the world. Ross and I are no angels, and participate in this quest for stuff, just like everyone else, but I think it's time to take a step back and rethink all we have. It's one thing to meet your needs, another to live in excess.

One aspect of our very diversified conversation was televisions. It's my personal opinion that you can tell a lot about a person from the type of television(s) they own and how many they have. I think that if you have one or more televisions in your home that is/are bigger than you are tall, and you paid more than, oh, $400 dollars for it, you are pathetic. Sorry, but it's my opinion. It makes me think that all you do in your free time (and that you have a lot of free time) is watch the tellevizzle and you can't be without your 24, or CSI Nas Vegami, or whatever stupid show you spend your time watching. Not a fan of appointment television where you can see every single pour on the star's face.

I told Ross today that I'm positive we could live in our house the rest of our lives. Does it have the potential to get a little small? Yes. But guess what that means - it's a chance for us to clean out our stuff and keep what is important...a few good books, some clothes to keep us covered, and a roof over our heads. What else do we really need? I told Ross that I will never have a need for a television in every room, or more than one sofa. It's not necessary. All I need is for my family to be close, happy and healthy.

If we turn on the news, the world is suffering. What are you doing about it? Me, I'm not doing much, but I desperately want to. I just need to sign myself up and get going. I try to always buy (yes I know that buying is the root of the problem) green, or red, or pink whenever possible to show my support. I occasionally donate to the Red Cross and St. Jude's Children's Hospital. I get teary eyed when I watch movies about Africa and the desperation faced by many and have bad dreams about the circumstances for nights at a time. I give the possessions I no longer want to the Deseret Industries or people in need. I pay my tithing and fast offerings to my church and hope that I am making a difference in someones life, somewhere. Is it enough? I don't think so.

I guess when it comes down to it, I feel guilty. My life is good, my problems minimal. I have wonderful parents and siblings, a great husband and a spectacular baby. My world is one of comfort with all my needs being met. We're not hungry, or thirsty, or in need or want. My life is very blessed.

So, what can I do? What can you do? If my church asked me to donate money to support new buildings or ventures "until it hurt", I'd do it. The blessings I would reap would be well worth the sacrifice. If someone needs dinner, I'll cook it, if they need a babysitter, I'll help. If they need a place to crash for the night, my sofa is road tested.

I'm ready and willing to fight for a cause. I just don't know what cause to fight for. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

.::still blinking::. said...

I totally agree. I think there is a point at which you can live your life sustainably in comfort and that the rest is excess, and should be given away to those in need.

I wonder where that point is though. I don't feel like I have excess yet, but I have way more than so many other people. So really, I could stop buying shoes and good food. But I want that stuff. Where does the turning point of being disgustingly overly wealthy and not sharing, and being disgustingly overly wealthy and giving away what you don't need.

Harried Mom said...

Here here ladies. I am on the same wave length. My husband the TV addict bought our big HD TV, but I spent from high school through grad school not even owning a TV and find it funny that I now have this monstrosity sitting in my living room. I too get caught up in buying frenzy's but not to keep up with the jonses, as I am not into competitions for stuff, but rather because I have a really bad spending habit. Every home I've owned and now rented has been small and simple. While I sometimes visit monstrous beautiful homes and feel a little twinge of envy, I know that the reality is that I would fill it with unnecessary stuff and have to clean the darn thing, no thanks.

As to causes to help, this year I chose to walk for the Susan G. Komen foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust helping to fund Breast Cancer research as well as pay for those with the disease who can't afford medical treatment on their own. I loved raising money and walking for this worthy cause. I also have donated to families in need which has been fulfilling. I've been trying to get a community knitted blanket together to donate to Children's Primary for a teenage boy in need. While this isn't a huge thing it is something worthy. Should you be interested in helping let me know, I've got the yarn and can teach you simple knit stitch to make a small rectangle that will become part of this blanket. Oh, I also quilt and donate to organizations for silent auctions and we have adopted a senior through Catholic Charities to provide gifts and friendship during this holiday season. I know these things aren't enough, but I am finding them fulfilling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails