Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Legacy

I've been thinking a lot in the last 24 hours or so about that word - Legacy. What it means, how we use it, and what we create with it. The definitions I've found are really lacking, but here's a good start. Legacy: anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor.

My dad told me yesterday that it was my grandma's wish to have me speak at her funeral. She only requested two people to do so, and I'm one of them. Why, I have no idea but I will do as my grandma wished. It is my job to be the first speaker and do the eulogy/life sketch.

I know a lot of people probably just read the obituary for something like this but not me. I know that my grandma expects great things from "the golden grandchild" and luckily I've got a few days to try to do her memory justice.

Here's the question I'm dealing with right now: How do you sum up the life, rather the LEGACY of someone who was so important to you, in 7 minutes or less?

I don't know. I'll figure it out.

Right now though, I cannot get this song out of my head. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with my grandma, but I've been humming the melody in my head since Sunday evening. I woke up singing it to myself this morning. It's calming and beautiful, and sometimes, isn't it crazy how a song just fits and fixes?



Did you listen? There are some lines that are so powerful, I just cannot stand it. Right now, I'm stuck on this part:

You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

2 comments:

Codi said...

Annie -
I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandma. What a beautiful song and I'm sure you will do a wonderful tribute.

Hugs, Codi

njt said...

I lost a grandma in April. I feel your pain.

xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails