Thursday, November 06, 2008

The pure joy in a good burger

I like to consider myself a bit of a hamburger eating professional. While a lot of families would eat sandwiches, mine would go get burgers. Even today on a Friday night you could find any number of family members both immediate and extended at a local burger joint (Hires, Crown Burgers, the Training Table), enjoying the fare.

In Tahoe we ate at a place called the Burger Lounge - can you say mighty tasty? I had the BBQ bacon burger with fries tossed in fresh garlic and chopped parsley and Ross enjoyed the "el camino" with grilled chilies and other stuff. If Elliott hadn't have been melting down I'm sure that our burgers would have been even better but they were still pretty awesome.

In recent months 5 guys has made an appearance in good old slc and we are big fans in the Griswald household. You just can't beat Cajun fries and made to order exactly how you like it burgers. For a few months now we've done our best to spread the word and get invited on burger runs as often as possible.

However, on our way home from Tahoe we planned a special detour in Sparks, NV for our beloved In-n-Out. After enjoying our burgers and fries to a degree that is almost sinister we decided that In-n-Out burgers, animal style of course, are the kings, the shiz if you will, of our burger world. There is just something about that toasted to perfection bun, the grilled onions, special sauce and overload of lettuce that can almost bring a burger lover like myself to tears. And, when my monkey will eat a burger and when all three of us can eat to contentment for 13 bucks...it truly is perfection.


If only the franchise would move in a little closer to home. It's a pretty expensive habit when the closest joint is 6 or more hours away.

3 comments:

Codi said...

Hey, if you ever feel really adventurous, call me and we'll strap the two kiddos in the back seat and head down to So. Utah to In-N-Out. Yep, just to eat lunch and high-tail it back. You know it's worth it!

p.s. mapquest says 4 hrs & 29 min from my house!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Such a good post! I LOVE a good burger, too. I tell you, I got so spoiled living in So Cal for 8 years where I had an in-n-out 2 blocks away from both our house and my work ... and a meal there was under 4 bucks?! Yeah, i ate there a little more than I'd like to admit! If you're ever in Vegas, go to Mandalay Bay and go to The Burger Bar .... it's gourmet burgers that you can get TONS of different type of toppings for. They even have a burger that comes with shaved truffles and is like $60.00! I had their Kobe beef burger last time and it was SO good.

Anonymous said...

There is a new burger joint in WVC - supposedly a takeoff from In & out called Chadders. I'll have to give it a try and let you know. One draw back - they don't have a drive up window......Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails