Saturday, November 15, 2008

it's that time of year...

There are many a house in my hood right now with their Christmas lights up and on every night. I've tried to take pictures but Ross won't slow down the car...he doesn't want the neighbors to see us mocking.

Even though I'm a scrooge around the holidays I do enjoy gift giving. I like gift receiving too, but as I get older that really just doesn't matter all that much - seeing other people open gifts definitely takes the cake.

My December issue of Real Simple came in the mail the other day. I love the monthly quotes in this magazine (that could be the only reason I subscribe). This month's quote was perfect for me.

A gift is pure when it is given from the heart to the right person at the right time and at the right place, and when we expect nothing in return.
-Bhagavad Gita


Isn't that great - it really helps to put gift giving and the holidays in perspective for me. I always try to give people good gifts - usually with a sentimental twist. Most of my family can usually expect some sort of photo project every year and if I can give something that makes someone cry (like my Dad) then I've definitely hit the gift jackpot.

This year though, I'm really struggling with those great, personal gift ideas. I find myself just wanting to purchase stuff for people, and get the shopping and wrapping out of the way. As it stands now, I already have the majority of my gifts purchased. Yes, I know it isn't even Thanksgiving, but I'm ready for the whole holiday season to be over already.

I think it's a little more than scrooge that's getting to me though. I'm getting old (*gasp*) - I am 30 after all, and in the last few weeks I've been feeling super claustrophobic in my own home. We have too much stuff! Way more stuff than two adults and a little monkey need on a day to day basis.

Today we've started an unofficial purge - one of those days where you start going through every drawer, nook, cranny, and closet to eliminate the clutter and simplify the life. We've made some progress but there's still a long road ahead.

With that in mind - the thought of buying (and even receiving) more stuff is a bit daunting. Ross leaves 99% of the holiday shopping up to me and I've decided that this years theme is minimalism. Sorry to those of you expecting great things from us - we may not deliver and we might buy you food. I told my sister this morning to just give me a homemade coupon book for Christmas full of things she'd be willing to do - like, um, babysit? Seriously, that's all I want. Haley - did you read this? You don't need to buy me anything!

I'm excited however to see how the Monkey responds to the holidays this year. I want to buy cool and neat things for him to see and open on Christmas day in hopes that I can catch that pure joy and excitement on "film". He is such a good boy, and so animated and cuddly that I'm sure his jaw will just drop if Ross and I actually get him one or two of the items we've been thinking of. Nothing out of control - I mean of course every almost 2 year old needs his own ipod, right? But, something that he'll love.

And hopefully the pictures that I take of him on Christmas morning will be worthy of enlargements and frames - and that sentimental memory preserving photo gift I long to give.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails