Thursday, November 20, 2008

A chance to give a little bit

At the beginning of October, I decided it was time for the women in my ward/neighborhood to do something outside of themselves - outside of taking each other dinner and watching each other's kids. Those are valuable volunteer efforts but I wanted to see some real acts of service.

So, because it's what I do, I fired off an e-mail to the Relief Society Presidency suggesting a service project for the ladies to work on. The RS pres. loved the idea and sort of put me in charge (not really, but I guess I spear headed the whole thing).

IMGP2932

The Project? Really, it's just feeding my addiction, but I've tried to get all the ladies in the ward to make knit hats. We are going to donate them to the homeless shelter and I really hope that we end up with a ton of hats.

I am currently working on my 11th hat since the first weekend in October. Three of them are keepers with people already in mind, but the others are to donate. I just love knowing that I'm taking the time to make something that another person needs and will hopefully find valuable. It's one of those warm fuzzy feelings you get when you do acts of service and it's great.

IMGP2936

Our deadline is December 10 and we asked that each woman in the ward make 5 hats. Do you want to help our cause? You need a loom (I've got some extras) and some yarn and a hook. I can give instruction or you can figure it out on your own. It would be awesome to see this be an even bigger project.

IMGP2931

IMGP2933

4 comments:

Mrs. Hill said...

This is a fantastic idea. I actually was going to have my FACS students in Mt. Pleasant (North Sanpete High) do this last year for an FCCLA project...it never got off the ground.

I need to do this myself...I have a knitting loom but it is at my mom's ...I need to pick it up when I head that way for Thanksgiving. Those hats sure are fun and quick to make

Codi said...

I drive home from work past Pioneer Park and have seen such an increase in the homeless the past few months. We're digging out coats, blankets and baby clothing from our house to make a big donation. Your hats will be so needed and I'm sure appreciated.

Way to go!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

That is so awesome. I wish I had the time and/or talent to contribute. I guess I could still make some after the holidays -- it's still going to be cold then, after all. I also have some old coats and gloves that I could give away - I should go get it together. Great job on spearheading that!

njt said...

Annie so cool! I wish I knew how to knit so I could help. I used to knit and need to take a refresher course. I will pass onto my knitter friends.

xo Rika

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails